Museum Location and Hours
The Museum is located at 314 N Glendora Ave (cross street Bennett)
Hours 11:00AM to 2:00PM most Saturdays, holidays excluded
Staffed by volunteer docents
Free of charge
It is possible to arrange both private tours and special appointments by calling the Museum at (626) 963-0419.
The Gift Shop has books, ornaments, citrus label reproductions, and other items related to Glendora's historic past for sale.
What is at the Museum
The collection at the museum is an eclectic assortment of items from the 1800's through the 1900's. There are tools for the home and farm, furniture, household accessories, office equipment, documents, photographs, and all types of clothing. Many items have been contributed by local residents over the years and have a direct connection to the "Upper San Gabriel Valley" and its residents.
Some of the Museum's Items left to right: Flour Sifter, Comb made form ivory or bone, Glasses, Hat Making Mold
Images of the Museum
In 1952 the Historical Society leased the building at 314 Michigan Ave (now Glendora Ave) The small building was built in 1913 and contained Glendora’s original City Hall, Volunteer Fire Deparment, and holding cell (temporary jail) until 1922 when the current City Hall was built. It has gone through a number of changes. Below are some photos of the museum at various stages in its life. The Museum Founding page provides a more detailed account of how the Glendora Historical Society Museum was established.
The Museum when the 1915 American-La France fire engine was Glendora's state of the art fire fighting equipment. Note the pile of material behind the building. Driver is Fire Chief Earl Midkiff. His son Claude started with the Department in 1919 and was Glendora's Fire Chief from 1932 to 1958.
The Museum after the new city hall was built in 1922. Now there is a building right behind the museum and the large front doors for the fire truck have been replaced by windows. There is still a pepper tree out front.
This photograph of the Museum was taken in 1952, the building was being used by the American Legion Frank J. Gard Post No. 153. The post was started in 1919 and named after the son of Emerson and Laura Gard, who was killed in 1918 at the end of WWl. Also the Church of the Brethren was using the building for meetings. Diane Mauck (standing) is the daughter of Beryl Mauck another of Glendora's long time firemen. The pepper tree is still there. Citation: Mercurio (Photographer). Sally Hawekotte of Glendora sits on fire engine fender tool box while chief Claude E. Midkiff shows Diane Mauck the effectiveness of the old time fire bell. 1952-05-08. From the Los Angeles Examiner Negatives Collection, 1950-1961. Digitally reproduced by the University of Southern California Digital Archive.
The Museum was remodeled for the 1776-1976 National Bicentennial Celebration. These pictures are from the official dedication on December 4th, 1977. Note that large doors have replaced the windows which had replaced the original large doors. But there is no longer a complete driveway, there is a sidewalk and curb in front of the Museum. During the years from 1972 to 1977 the Society also maintained a room at the Glendora Library and Cultural Center and transfered items back and forth between the two locations. The pepper tree is gone and the building behind the museum is gone.
Mrs. Chester Ady, First Vice President 1974-75, standing by the Whitcomb desk when it was at the Museum Room in the Glendora Library and Cultural Center
Again running out of room it was decided to expand the museum in conjunction with Glendora's 100 year celebration, 1887-1987. This is a photgraph of the architectural model of the proposed remodel. After raising the money through many fundraisers and hard work, construction began and the official dedication was June 10, 1989. A new room was added at the back of the original building adding 1600 square feet of space. The new entrance was designed to match the old front.
The Museum in its current form, April 6, 2010.